Sunday, July 13, 2008

realization of another me

I came back home yesterday at 12:30 ish at midnight. My solo trip had ended and here I am now, in Saitama. This trip felt as if it lasted so much longer than just a week. It felt like it was at least a month. I suppose that was because of the events that took place and the people that I had met during my journey.
The first day that I got to Totori, I was exhausted from the long train rides and walking around with a heavy backpack on my shoulders. It took me about 8 hours to get there by trains/bullet train. Once I got to Totori station, I was impatient for waiting for a bus to take me to this youth hostel(fairly cheap and it is for travelers all around the world) so I took a cab which was double the price of the bus ticket. At that point, I just wanted to get to my destination and crash like a baby. Once I got to the youth hostel, I was really surprised of the presence of the temple right next to it. It looked kool from the outside, but the inside of the youth hostel was another story. I took a bath, and there were black mildew and rust it was not a pleasant sight. But, again I was too tired to really be appalled by the whole environment. After I take a bath and wash up, I go upstairs to my tatami room and lay on the futon mattress. Another terrible occasion was that the futon mattress was so thin that it was not even cushiony. I felt as though I was sleeping on a deck. After tossing and turning that night I realize that I need to leave this youth hostel about 6:00-7:00 in the morning just because I had plans to visit the sand dune and such.
After lying on the futon mattress for about 3 hours, I just couldn't fall asleep due to the uncomfortable position I was on the matress. I decided to wake up and get ready. That was about 5 in the morning. Trust me, after this trip I forgot how to sleep. I even attended the chanting in the temple, but I left shortly. I was chanting words that didn't even make sense, and I probably sound ungracious but I did not feel tranquil. My mind was saying, "you need to get to the bus stop or else you'll be wasting your time not getting to the sand dunes at the right time." So I pretty much skitter away from the youth hostel and not even check out appropriately. That place was overpriced, and there was no one around the checkin place so I left the sheets and such on the table. (don't worry, I paid beforehands)
I wait at the bus stop for about 20 minutes and the bus almost left without me. I was supposed to be on the opposite side, rather than the side I was at. Sitting there made me feel releived because I had caught the bus before it left me. I would have had to wait another hour for another bus to drive by. Totori is a rural area. Not many people lived there. I get to Totori station, and I had to wait another hour and a half for the bus to take me to the sand dunes. I bought a jello drink(it's kind of like a energy drink) and Soukenbichya(oolong cold tea) to refresh me for that morning. While waiting for the bus I met these French couple that was in their 50's-60's. I asked them how long they have been in Japan and they answered I think 2 weeks.....

1 comment:

Sarah A said...

sorry your hostel sucked, i had a good experience with mine (only 10 euros and it was clean with lots of amenities)

didn't realize you had updated. now i'll have to read more. 8D